Thursday 23 April 2009

The Panic In Needle Park (1971)

"Your love is like bad medicine."
At a glance:
Now this is what I call a movie about drugs. Fuck Trainspotting (1996). That's too stylish. This is downright dirty, hopelessly grim and plain I-don't-wanna-live-no-more-please-poke-this-needle-through-my-eye. It's a slow-burnin drama about a couple's descent into a life of addiction. You start starin down into a big black hole right from the off. You wanna help but you can't. "God help Bobby and Helen - they're in love in Needle Park."
Reminds me of:
Ingmar Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage (1973), another otherworldly movie (removes you to a place so damned distant, detached and depressin). Not even sad sex can save you from the blues after watchin this film.
Watch out for:
Al Pacino. Apparently the studio suits were convinced about him bein right to play Michael Corleone in Godfather only after shown his performance in this movie.
I can't remember if I cried:
When I read about how Kitty Winn, the lead actress who scooped Best Actress at Cannes for this film, walked away from moviemakin and started a family. Her performance in this, how the character arc frustrates the viewer, is so fuckin gorgeous. You could feel like reachin your hand into the TV and wantin to pull her out to save her.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
It's a four star movie just for gettin to see closeups of needles prickin the skin. R-rated, I read.