Thursday 23 February 2012

The Woman That Dreamed About A Man (2010) @ Kvinden Der Drømte Om En Mand

Extra-marital sex on European parquet. Nice.
Superman StaminaAt a glance:
There's this Danish filmmaker called Per Fly - he shoots stylish movies and this Euro erotica is a good example. The Woman That Dreamed About A Man @ The Woman That Dreamed Of A Man @ Kvinden Der Drømte Om En Mand is mostly in English and features chiefly three characters only - a successful Danish fashion photographer called Karen (Sonja Richter), her husband Johan (Michael Nyqvist) and her Polish lover Maciek (Marcin Dorocińsk). After a chance encounter, the cheatin pair start havin international sex all over the place but the woman takes it to the next level by developin an obsession.

Bad news on the doorstep:
It's lauded as a psychological thriller and a character study but I've seen enough of those to insist this is just farthouse fare. Movies about extra-marital affairs probably make the most sense to cheaters themselves because, as I believe, you don't really need a reason to cheat - you just do. You can and you want to and it happens. So to its credit, this movie does skips the tedium of explainin that. However in The Woman That Dreamed About A Man (2010) we're not allowed to develop any emotional attachment to the characters, nor are they very likeable either. As a result, the climax is decidedly underwhelmin and I find the entire effort rather vacuous. It does feature some good photography though - so why not just look at the stills and forget about the movie.

"Can we turn the lights off?"
"I'm tryin hard not to laugh when I see your orgasm face."
Score!
"I'm sorry. There's someone else. He's a Pole. I mean he's from Poland."
"I need love."
"I need love."
"I need love."
"Take me, you beast."
"So,  have you figured out what the movie is all about yet?"

Perennial wonderment:
Is Sonja Richter hot? I can't decide.
Reminds me of:
Damage (1992) with Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche but that was a good movie. The last affair-themed movie I watched was The Other Man (2008) and that wasn't very good either.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Two stars. Rather borin. Let's hope for more substance and less style in his next movie, an intended biopic about Swedish singer Monica Zetterlund called Monica Z (2013).
Trailer for the curious:

Bonus material: