Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Woman (2011)

"So do you think I need to do in my thighs?"
At a glance:
For best results, read no further than the director's statement I've pasted for you here: “THE WOMAN is an exploration of the very definition of horror. It is designed to incite feelings of fear, shock, nervousness, dismay, anxiety and disgust. It is designed to make you question what it is to be civilized, what it is to be feral and all the shades of gray in between. On a surface level, the film will make you jump, it will make you squirm and, for the more sensitive, it might even induce nausea. It will make you question my intentions in making it, as well as your own desire to watch it." Okay, he might be oversellin but I don't doubt the idea. Yet another fruitful foray into disturbia, scary story writer Jack Ketchum follows up his Offspring (2009) book and movie with filmmaker Lucky McKee (that was shyte, by the way). To think they co-wrote this script and movie tie-in novel together at the same time via instant messenger! It follows that story, pickin up on the fate of the last survivin member of a cannibal clan.

Bad news on the doorstep:
Have you seen Ketchum's equally disturbin earlier story in the movie The Girl Next Door (2007)? It can get a bit self-engrossed. The odd rock music might put you off, too - though I see it was liked enough to be sellin as a soundtrack. Then again, they're even sellin replica The Woman lawn mower blades on Amazon as a horrorphile collectible, so maybe that's not sayin anythin. 
Perennial wonderment:
Pollyanna McIntosh. She makes an illiterate hissin cavewoman so watchable. This role was quite demandin. I think I'll revisit her "smart, sassy and sexy"
turn (Empire Magazine) in Brit thriller Exam (2009) after this.
"Okay! Okay! I'm Scottish!"
Reminds me of:
Day Of The Woman a.k.a. I Spit On Your Grave (1978) and Thriller: A Cruel Picture (1974).
I can't remember if I cried:
When our friend gets some
Most memorable line:
Arrrghh. Euuuww. Grrrrr. Hisssss. Eeeek.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Three stars for knowin what it wants to achieve. This is way better than the first Offspring (2009) because there's less talk and more action. A fable dripped in misandry and violence. Put the kids to sleep and enjoy. 
Trailer for the curious:
Bonus material:
Do we look like a well-adjusted, cereal-eatin suburban family to you?
"That's it! I've had it with your bra-burnin, bushy-armpit feminists!"
"So... do you shave?"
"Gimme some shampoo or I'll drive this through your stomach."
"I don't really think this outfit looks good on me."
"Can you make her uglier around the mouth, please?"