Saturday 11 April 2009

Bugsy Malone (1976)

"I made a lot of friends in exotic places,
I don't remember names but I remember faces."

At a glance:
"I like my men at my feet."
An enjoyable and memorable musical with an all-kid lineup, includin a prepubescent Jodie Foster (pic), who musta been 10 or somethin when she shot this. Movie is a light-hearted reimaginin of Prohibition Chicago, where Italian gangsters and their molls die if they get hit by splurge guns that shoot custard. Many include this as one of the greatest musicals of all time. Some say one of the greatest movies even. Songs all very memorable and it ain't embarrassin to concede I know some by heart.
Somethin touched me deep inside:
Jail bait Jodie.
Every time I watch that after hours scene with the black kid sweepin up - Tomorrow / tomorrow's far away / tomorrow / as they say / is reserved for dreams / tomorrow / tomorrow's looking grey / a playground always locked / trains no winning team
Reminds me of:
My brother who recommended it. Sure miss the bastard.
Watch out for:
Jodie Foster as Tallulah the ho, of course. You can see her immense talent even at this age. This was around the same time as her young whore role in the Scorsese gem Taxi Driver (1976) with Deniro.
Most memorable line:
Fat Sam: "Someone once said it was rainin brains, Roxy Robinson wouldn't even get wet. Roxy had spent his whole life makin two and two into five, but he could smell trouble like other people could smell gas. But believe youse me, he should've never taken that blind alley by the side of Parido's Bakery. Whatever game it was everybody was playin, sure as eggs is eggs, Roxy the Weasel had been scrambled."
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Love the production design, love the songs. Sure don't make 'em like they used to.★★★★