Monday 25 May 2009

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

At a glance:
One of my favourite movies of all time - a swashbucklin, rollickin old-timey Southern adventure starrin George Clooney, John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson. Never tire of watchin this one, must be the Coens' best. Clooney's greasy motormouth character Everett busts out of prison with two quirky inmates and together they set off on a mission that can best be described as musically whacked. Family-friendly fun for everyone.
Perennial wonderment:
How they never made a follow-up to this - but the bangin soundtrack (which is commonly said to be a hell lot more successful than the movie ever was) got a sequel. Not surprisingly, the soundtrack is also one of my favourite albums of all time.
Reminds me of:
My departed brother, who recommended this movie to me. He's probably at the big rock candy mountain now, paddlin around a lake of whiskey and stew, God bless him.
Watch out for:
The best track from the movie, Man Of Constant Sorrow. Comes on twice. All the other songs are excellent but this one is catchiest.
Most memorable line:
There are plenty but I particularly like Everett's rant about women to Delmar and also another retort containin the phrase unconstant succubus. Known too many in my time.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?Five stars, what else. Movies like this one don't come by too often.