Wednesday 18 September 2013

The Texas Roadside Massacre (2012)

amir lang tengah DAMPAK
Marina Resa does what it says on the tin in Roadside Massacre (2013).

Bonus material:
"Where's my nincompoop casting agent?"
At a glance:
I wish I could give you more backstory about Scott Kirkpatrick's immediately trivial-soundin Roadside Massacre (2012) -- which is released on DVD and VOD in the U.K. as The Texas Roadside Massacre -- but I think the movie failed to get to a bigger audience and the official website had already expired. Anyway it's a micro-budget slasher about five college friends who take a detour and end up in the remote mountain town of Blueridge, where Karen (Marina Resa) believes her older sister went missin two years ago. After a few odd encounters with the locals, people go missin and shit starts hittin the fan -- apparently it has somethin to do with Jimmy's Rib Shack, the local barbie joint.
Bad news on the doorstep:
Good times.
Well, I'm not sure whether they didn't have the finances or the editin talent for it - but they can't seem to shoot even a simple car accident. A lot of action either happens offscreen or happens in a way that makes you wonder if it happened at all! I guess Roadside mostly suffers from a story has been done to death, not to mention how the birds in it aren't particularly lookers, nor do they dress (or undress) to compensate for it.
Perennial wonderment:
While the narrative is actually sound and you can follow all 80 minutes of it, I again wonder why people would feel compelled to go forward on so little. Ain't we seen this hicksploitation template a hundred times over? A dream's a dream, I guess.
Reminds me of:
Haha - do you have all day?
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Plenty of IMDb shills at work on this one, I see. Ah well, jog on.★★
Bonus material:
It's a teen eat teen world.


  1. Thank goodness it's over.