Tuesday 22 September 2009

One Hour Photo (2002)

At a glance:
Quiet and averagely menacin, music video director Mark Romanek's One Hour Photo is a 96-minute psychological horror with themes of social alienation and obsession with ancillary discussions on the cultural and existential dangers of photography. Robin Williams (pic) plays Seymour Parish @ Sy The Photo Guy, a SavMart employee who lives his life vicariously through the pictures that he works with. He grows dangerously attached to the Yorkins in particular, a family whose photos he has been developin for many years.
Bad news on the doorstep:
Somewhat tedious and slightly broodin, the movie is said to have been ordered by studio Fox Searchlight for re-edit against the director's wishes, due to box office concerns. You feel that the movie couldda been cut a hundred ways to make a different movie. May have worked better as a short, I feel. Either that or an expansion in areas to cover, given its wonderful premise.
Reminds me of:
A talky optometrist in Uptown DU who can't stop paradin his knowledge.
Watch out for:
Exotic Danish beauty Connie Nielsen (pic), the amazingly hot ass piece of ass from Gladiator whose character incestuously fucks Joachim Phoenix who plays her brother. Doesn't ring a bell? How about the one whose character incestuously fucks Keanu Reeves who plays her brother in The Devil's Advocate? Wish I had Connie Nielsen as my sister.
Most memorable line:
Sy Parrish: "... and if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture."
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Can do with a solid but only because Robin Williams nailed it with a classy, restrained performance. And oh ladies, you get to see Michael Vartan's knob in it. Must have survived bein snapped off by the crocs in Rogue, it seems.