Monday 28 September 2009

Dan In Real Life (2007)

Any reason will do, just to watch Juliette Binoche.

At a glance:
Dan In Real Life (2007) is a soft holiday rom-com set in Rhode Island, starrin the questionable talent that is Steve Carell (pic, do we really need this guy?) and the unquestionable talent that is Juliette Binoche, both who form a believable, sensitive couple obviously drawn to each other after a chance meet but are held back by the latter's current relationship with an overcompensatin prick of a man, played by Dane Cook, whom I unfortunately remember from that chore of a movie My Best Friend's Girl.
Perennial wonderment:
If Juliette Binoche could star in another unforgettable French movie that somehow finds its way to the French Film Festival in Malaysia sometime before I expire?
Reminds me of:
Some place cold but cosy... like a holiday home I never had.
Watch out for:
Juliette Binoche's character doin some acrobatic gymnast stretchin against the body of Dane Cook's character durin a workout, as Steve Carell's character goes green with envy. O my days, is she really 45?
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
It's a straightforward 98-minute movie about how a widower finds out that the woman he falls for is his brother's girlfriend. It doesn't pretend to be better or bigger than it is; and it introduced me to eclectic Norwegian singer-songwriter Sondre Lerche, who provides all the tunes that make the movie. That critic guy Ebert says the songs are his only complaint about the film. I find them cheery. ★★★1/2