Thursday 20 August 2009

Orphan (2009)

At a glance:
Deceptively non-supernatural psycho-thriller about a kid named Esther who goes into a home and starts kickin shit up. Observe some pretty cool creepy camerawork. Don't know if this will ruin your viewin experience but someone who told me that there's a big twist made me overly conscious about it and it didn't catch me as I would've liked it to.
Bad news on the doorstep:
Various Christian and nonsecular adoption groups went ape shit about this movie because its murderous child theme promotes negativity about adoption. You can read that there's a Facebook group called I Am Boycotting Warner Bros. ‘Orphan’ Movie and that Warner has changed the initial voiceover from the trailer that ominously stated: “It must be difficult to love an adopted child as much as your own” to “I don’t think Mommy likes me very much.” Fuck this shit, I say. If you're gonna make a big decision like adoptin a kid and you get swayed by a movie, then the kid's better off without you, you suggestible cunt. Besides, it's already rated R so what's the big fuss?
Perennial wonderment:

If kid actors like Isabelle Fuhrman (in white, pic) ever make it big. Anyone hear anythin about how Haley Joel Osment is doin? Only thing I heard of since The Sixth Sense is Pay It Forward. He's too fat now to get any jobs now, right? That's probably why he's mostly doin voiceovers, right?
Reminds me of:
The Omen of course. The '76 original, not the recent cock crap remake with Liev Schreiber. It's not his fault though, so don't blame him. Also, reminds me of a straight-to-video C-grade movie called Glass House: The Good Mother. It had that guilty mother theme.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Yeah there's somethin wrong with Esther alright - and it's entertainin enough to wanna know it. The film's two-hour runtime might not have been necessary but this is still a movie with decent rewards.