Tuesday 25 August 2009

Pulp Fiction (1994)

At a glance:
Where do I begin, to tell the story of how great a movie can be? Oh well, so much for hidin my admiration for this flick. Tarantino's critically and commercially celebrated Pulp Fiction is one of the most iconic movies of all time. If you had to pick just one movie from the 90s to mail off to aliens in outer space to let them know about us, this unhealthy and highly addictive movie would be it. Centred around some unrealistically cool dodgy characters and a mysterious suitcase (lots of fanboy theories on the Net about what it actually contains), this is an embarrassin wealth of pop culture references, punctuated stylishly with plenty of movie moments that you can simply gobble up like a Big Kahuna Burger.
Bad news on the doorstep:
That it doesn't have a sequel or somethin to that effect? Any one of the characters in here couldda spawned a spinoff movie. Hell, that Big Kahuna Burger on the table couldda spawned a spinoff movie.
Perennial wonderment:
If Tarantino can ever make a better film. Doubt it. Well, actually I think Reservoir Dogs is a better film. It's just that Pulp Fiction is just so darn engrossin.
Reminds me of:
Melchiorre Conti, the Sicilian who couldn't stop sayin "Well, I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' motherfucker, motherfucker!" Wotta man.
Watch out for:
Bruce Willis & Ving Rhames in a butt-rape and revenge scene, backed by The Revel's Comanche. I really enjoyed the weapon selection sequence.
Most memorable line:
Jules: "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and goodwill, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Top actors, top soundtrack, top screenplay. You can't ask for more. You give it and you hope that you can get a tasty beverage to wash it down with.