Friday 6 July 2012

Datin Ghairah (2011)

"Yes, you balik as soon as possible dan jangan lupa belikan collagen, ya." Bone Town
At a glance:
I know this is a shyte film by all accounts but I thought I'd watch it and post a review anyway, since I love watchin rubbish films. I've been puttin this into the computer by my bed every night and fallin asleep to it, so I keep havin to restart the next night.
Bad news on the doorstep:
That was more than two weeks ago.
Perennial wonderment:
It is a national travesty how that De Baron company can keep producin and releasin movies under some self-sanctioned Langkawi tourism initiative. This is a TV movie that belongs to the cheapest slot on the cheapest channel, not a theatrical release across more than 40 screens. Why are we asked to take it seriously? Give me a break!
Reminds me of:
Well, the perfectly cast Maria Farida is of course a real actress with real actin pedigree unlike Yasmin Khanif - but all the memories of Jalang (2009) did come back. To be fair, Datin Ghairah is a decidedly campy effort that knows what it is (especially with such a title), so we should have a heart.
I can't remember if I cried:
I didn't cry, I slept. The elements in this movie are from 40 years ago. A tough guy talkin with a cartoon voice is the kind of comedy you can expect 40 years ago. That's why it's a RM 1.2 million movie starrin the country's No.1 male lead and yet posted just RM 350,000, accordin to the FINAS jokers at least.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Well at least it was a coherent story and some actin was actually involved. Plus, the Projek Pistol theme Wanita Seluruh Dunia is actually not bad.1/2


Trailer for the curious: